Jan 8, 2011

My Resident Evil: Afterlife review

Today I took a few hours out of my day to watch Resident Evil: Afterlife (2010). Before I get started, I will admit that I absolutely love zombie related movies that have a well thought-out and good storyline. The Resident Evil storyline is flawless. Paul W.S. Anderson did an impeccable job with the story.

Afterlife was amazing in a few factors in my eyes. One being that it was an action packed zombie movie and I am extremely happy that Ali Larter's character, Claire Redfield, was brought back into the scene. Paul Anderson never seizes to amaze me with the Resident Evil movies, he always executes them better than he promises. However, Afterlife seemed to steer away from the actual storyline a little bit. Yes, Alice, Milla Jovovich, is still out to take down Umbrella Corporation.. but I think Paul got a little out of control with the newly created zombies and he didn't seem to explain a lot of what was happening in Afterlife like he does with the other three movies. I also loved the graphics and slow motion techniques that were used. There were a few scenes that didn't need the slow motion, but it is still fun to see action packed scenes in slow motion.

If I had to pick one of the four movies that I liked the best; I would, without a doubt, pick Resident Evil: Extinction (2007). That is a must see movie of the series. Of course, if you don't want to be confused, you will have to watch Resident Evil (2002) and Resident Evil: Apocalypse (2004) before Extinction, but if you had to choose one, I would say choose that one. I have a feeling Paul Anderson will keep the series going as long as he can, but I think one more should wrap up and justify the entire series. In my opinion, he needs to complete the storyline and still find a way to keep the action packed scenes in the movie without creating anymore crazy out of this world zombies.

Overall, I would give Resident Evil: Afterlife 6 stars out of 10. The graphics were amazing, the characters are incredible, and the action scenes are awesome. The only huge downfall for my rating was lack of explanations and steering away from the storyline a little more than needed. However, I am excited for another Resident Evil movie to come though!

6/10

1 comment:

Total Pageviews