Jun 15, 2010

Customers.. and Customer Service

Working at Safeway is not the only job that has this "problem". I have friends, Kelsey being one of them, who are or have been waiters/waitresses, and they have to put up with rude customers - even if it's not their fault at all. Honestly, that is lack of common courtesy on the customers part. Arguments that will be made are "Well I'm paying for your service, so I should get what I asked for" or "This is your job, you're getting paid, deal with it.". Honestly, that is completely rude, and you should really think twice before making those assumptions.

Currently, I work at Safeway as a courtesy clerk, also known as a "bagger". It's the lowest job known in any grocery business so I get overlooked a lot, which is quite annoying. Just for example, there are a lot of horrible courtesy clerks who don't care about their job and just show up and do their work half ass. So, since their job entitles them to bag groceries half the time, they don't pay attention and they bag groceries the exact opposite you should (ex: eggs & bread at the bottom). That reflects on me and every other hard working courtesy clerk. That isn't the only annoying part about it.. Since it happens so often, customers expect me to not know anything about my own job, so they try to tell me how to do it, which i hate. Since working at Safeway is all about world class service, I obviously can't back talk or be sarcastic with the customer, so I have to basically smile and agree with them, no matter how rude they are being to me. -- That's Bullshit.


This brings me to my next topic of discussion.. my main topic. I personally feel that everyone should have to go through some kind of work, or training.. something where they have to deal with and practice world class service. For example: If everyone were to be a waiter/waitress at one point in time in their life, they would know exactly how hard it is and when a customer is rude to you, it doesn't make it any easier or less stressful. Do people not realize that they are being rude? Or do they really just not care? Basically, I think it people were to experience the other end, it would be a lot different and overall, help the matter.

On a side note - I also believe every (capable) 18 year old males (females are optional) should have to attend boot camp in at least one military branch. I am not saying they would have to enlist. I am saying they should have to attend the boot camp process, and then, after boot camp, they can choose to enlist into the military or go home back to their previous lives. Why do I think this? For a few reasons.. Number one: It would make our men and women more productive in the work field and it would create hard working American citizens. I personally can say I was a lazy punk kid before I enlisted into the Marine Corps. After boot camp, I had a completely different look on life and productivity. Now, I believe myself to be a very hard working, determined young man who is hungry for success. Imagine if all young men and women were like that.. the world would grow at a much faster rate. I know a lot of people would not agree with me on this topic, but blogging is for opinions. That is what this is, an opinion.

Alright, well if you're reading this, I am extremely interested in reading your replies/thoughts. I love a good debate, so please don't ruin it with vulgar comments towards anyone. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews